Congressman John Garamendi

Representing the 3rd District of California
Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Middle East Revolutions Demonstrate Need for American Clean Energy Revolution, Rep. Garamendi Says in Call for National Clean Energy Plan

February 28, 2011
Press Release

WASHINGTON, DC – Congressman John Garamendi (D-Walnut Creek, CA), a member of the House Armed Services and Natural Resources committees, today called for a national clean energy plan that prioritizes the need to (1) Make It In America, (2) transition away from dirty fossil fuels, and (3) secure energy independence. Congressman Garamendi believes that events unfolding in the Middle East – and subsequent increases in fuel prices – demonstrate America’s need to transition away from unclean energy from an unstable part of the world.

"Pro-democratic movements in the Middle East are in the midst of their rendezvous with destiny, but America’s destiny can no longer be linked with the fates of dictators, military juntas, and theocratic regimes. We must develop energy independence; we must Make It In America," said Congressman Garamendi, a former Deputy U.S. Interior Department Secretary. "Energy security is national security. We spend 16 percent of our defense budget patrolling the Straits of Hormuz protecting the flow of oil from the region. That’s more than $100 billion every year. In light of the revolutions and uprisings taking place in the Middle East and the subsequent fuel price spikes, we must wean ourselves off foreign dirty fossil fuels."

"A comprehensive national clean energy plan, including solar, wind, geothermal, cellulosic ethanol, advanced biofuels, and nuclear energy is necessary to break our dangerous addiction to oil and to keep America safe," added Garamendi. "We have the technology and resources to be completely energy independent, creating thousands of good American jobs and strengthening our global competitiveness."

"Democrats and Republicans must work together to make sure America out-innovates and out-builds the rest of the world," Garamendi continued. "For centuries, America has led the world on a long march toward freedom and democracy. Let’s reclaim our clean energy leadership and lead the world toward clean energy independence."

In 2009, the United States received 8% of its total energy consumption from renewable sources of energy and 9% of its energy from nuclear power. Renewable sources of energy are anticipated to reach 17% of total energy consumption by 2035, but this will not provide the baseload power that is needed to meet our future energy demands.

Congressman Garamendi is the author of Make It In America legislation that makes sure that American tax dollars are spent on transit and clean energy equipment made in America.