Service Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Service Academy Nomination.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Congressman Garamendi may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please complete the form below and submit the required supporting documents listed below. All applications with required supporting documents must be hand-delivered, emailed, or postmarked by the first Friday in November. The deadline for 2020 is November 6th, 2020. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
- Copy of Official High School Transcript and transcripts of any post High School Education (if applicable)
- Copy of Standardized Test Score Results (At minimum, a printout of scores from ACT/SAT website with student name is acceptable)
- We understand that many scheduled SATs and ACTs were cancelled this year and that you may not yet have a score available. If you wish to submit your application before you receive your score, we ask that you note the date you took or will take the test and provide our office with your score report as soon as possible.
- Personal Statement (not to exceed 500 words) - Why you want to attend a military service academy
- Resume of extra-curricular activities and demonstrated leadership responsibilities (include in school activities, athletics, and community involvement).
- We understand that many extra-curricular activities were cancelled during the 2020 school year. If you had planned to participate in an activity that was cancelled this year, you may include it in your resume and make a note that it was cancelled due to COVID-19.