Accomplishments in the 115th Congress
Congressman Garamendi is proud to represent the people of the Third District of California. His district team has helped deliver millions of dollars of earned benefits to his constituents, and in Washington, he works on issues crucial to our local communities and to our country's economy and national security.
Congressman Garamendi sits on two of the most dynamic and productive Committees in Congress: The House Armed Services Committee, which has the annual task of completing a massive authorization bill that sets policy for our armed forces; and the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, which sets policy and funding priorities for our nation's transportation systems.
As part of his role on the House Armed Services Committee, Congressman Garamendi has for the past four years been one of conferees in negotiations with the Senate to reconcile differences between the House and Senate versions of the annual defense authorization bill. This has given him a significant voice in helping to set military policy, advocate for our service members, and protect the vital missions at Travis and Beale Air Force Bases. He also serves on the Subcommittee on Strategic Forces, which is tasked with overseeing our country's nuclear forces and keeping us safe from nuclear threats. Garamendi has also helped deliver $6.86 million dollars in earned benefits to 3rd District veterans
On the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, Congressman Garamendi helped to author a long-awaited five-year highway bill, three water resource authorization bills, and a rail reauthorization. He is also the Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on the Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation, and in that capacity has worked with his Republican counterpart to pass bills that strengthen our shipping industry and improve our national security.
In 2017 alone, Congressman Garamendi:
- Introduced legislation to change the cost of living adjustments for federal government retirement accounts to better reflect costs seniors face such as drug pricing and housing. (H.R. 1251)
· Helped the City of Fairfield secure a $1.2 million federal grant to buy a modern, zero-emission bus fleet. This will improve air quality and allow for better bus routes throughout the city.
- Authored a bill to allow students to refinance their student loans at a lower rate, much like homeowners do with their mortgage. (H.R. 4001)
· Authored a provision in the annual National Defense Authorization Act to authorize $114.7 million to begin the most urgent construction projects necessary to ready Travis for the arrival of the KC-46 mission.
· Fought to ensure that a provision in the tax bill that would have significantly harmed agricultural exporters, including growers in his district, was removed from the final tax bill passed by Congress.
- Garamendi, along with Republican Doug LaMalfa, authored legislation to ensure that taxpayer dollars are used to provide our school children with American-grown food, rather than food from China. (H.R. 1241)
· Helped secure permits for critical emergency levee repairs in downtown Yuba City to keep local residents safe. Permits for this project would normally take years to acquire but were completed in mere months
· Successfully petitioned the IRS to grant tax relief for homeowners struggling to rebuild after recent wildfires in Lake and Yuba Counties.
- Fought successfully to remove provisions from the recent tax reform bill that would have incurred a massive tax hike on graduate students and those with student debt.
- With Republican Duncan Hunter, authored a Coast Guard re-authorization bill that passed the House as a part of a broader legislative package.