Accomplishments in Congress
Congressman Garamendi is proud to represent the people of the Third District of California. His district team has helped deliver millions of dollars of earned benefits to his constituents, including $6.86 million dollars in earned benefits for 3rd District veterans. In, Washington, he works on issues crucial to our local communities and to our country's economy and national security.
Congressman Garamendi sits on two of the most dynamic and productive committees in Congress: The House Armed Services Committee, which has the annual task of completing a massive authorization bill that sets policy for our armed forces; and the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, which sets policy and funding priorities for our nation's transportation systems.
As a senior member of the House Armed Services Committee, Congressman Garamendi has for the past five years been selected to reconcile differences between the House and Senate versions of the annual defense authorization bill during conference negotiations. This has given him a significant voice in helping to set military policy, advocate for our service members, and protect the vital missions at Travis and Beale Air Force Bases. He also serves on the Strategic Forces Subcommittee, which is tasked with overseeing our country's nuclear forces, and the Seapower and Projection Forces Subcommittee, which focuses on Navy shipbuilding programs and other important issues such as strategic sealift and airlift capabilities.
On the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, Congressman Garamendi has helped to author a long-awaited five-year highway bill, four water resource development bills, and a rail reauthorization. He is also the Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on the Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation, and in that capacity, has worked with his Republican counterpart to pass bills that strengthen our shipping industry and improve our national security.
In the 115th Congress alone, Congressman Garamendi:
- Introduced legislation to change the cost of living adjustments for federal government retirement accounts to better reflect costs seniors face such as drug pricing and housing. (H.R. 1251)
- With Republican Senator Wicker, introduced a bill to rebuild America’s domestic shipbuilding and maritime industry by requiring a small percentage of exported crude oil and liquefied natural gas (LNG) be transported on U.S.-built and U.S.-flagged vessels. (H.R. 5893)
- Continued to lead the fight against the disastrous twin tunnels, including fighting back against legislation that would prohibit any lawsuits against the project.
- Helped the City of Fairfield secure a $1.2 million federal grant to buy a modern, zero-emission bus fleet. This will improve air quality and allow for better bus routes throughout the city.
- Authored a bill to allow students to refinance their student loans at a lower rate, much like homeowners do with their mortgage. (H.R. 4001)
- Introduced legislation to award a Congressional Gold Medal, one of the highest honors in the U.S., to Merchant Mariners who sustained our armed forces during WWII. (H.R. 5879)
- Authored a provision in the annual National Defense Authorization Act to authorize $114.7 million to begin the most urgent construction projects necessary to ready Travis for the arrival of the KC-46 mission.
- Helped author a bipartisan provision in the FY18 appropriations bill that funds wildfire fighting like other natural disasters such as flood or tornados, allowing the Forest Service to do more preventative for management, like removing the millions of dead trees in California.
- Fought to ensure that a provision in the tax bill that would have significantly harmed agricultural exporters, including growers in his district, was removed from the final tax bill passed by Congress.
- Garamendi, along with Republican Doug LaMalfa, authored legislation to ensure that taxpayer dollars are used to provide our school children with American-grown food, rather than food from China. (H.R. 1241)
- Helped secure permits for critical emergency levee repairs in downtown Yuba City to keep local residents safe. Permits for this project would normally take years to acquire but were completed in mere months
- Authored legislation making technical corrections and clarifications to the laws that govern the Coast Guard, to ensure that the they are clear and that the Coast Guard’s roles and responsibilities are well-defined. (H.R. 5326)
- Successfully petitioned the IRS to grant tax relief for homeowners struggling to rebuild after recent wildfires in Lake and Yuba Counties.
- Fought successfully to remove provisions from the tax reform bill that would have incurred a massive tax hike on graduate students and those with student debt.
- With Republican Duncan Hunter, authored a Coast Guard re-authorization bill that passed the House as a part of a broader legislative package.
- Ensured his provision providing $10 million to the Departments of Defense, Transportation, and Homeland Security to jointly develop a GPS backup demonstration passed in the National Defense Authorization Act.
- In conference negotiations of the National Defense Authorization Act, fought successfully to authorize the procurement of a new heavy polar icebreaker for our Coast Guard, which is vital to protecting American interests in the Arctic.