THOMPSON AND GARAMENDI ANNOUNCE FEMA PUBLIC ASSISTANCE FOR MENDOCINO COMPLEX
Washington – Today Rep. Mike Thompson (CA-05) and Rep. John Garamendi (CA-03) announced that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has granted Public Assistance for Lake County for the Ranch and River Fires, commonly known as the Mendocino Complex fires. This declaration allows federal funds to be available to state and local governments provide support and assistance during the recovery process for the Mendocino Complex fires, which began on July 27, 2018 and burned across the region.
“As Lake County continues to recover and firefighters continue battling this terrible blaze, our community is once again demonstrating our resilience. This public assistance will give state and local governments the support they need as we work to help our community return to normal,” said Thompson. “Again, I want to thank all the incredible firefighters, first responders, and law enforcement who are still working to fight this fire and keep our community safe. This is another important step on our journey to recovery.”
“I appreciate FEMA’s grant of Public Assistance for the victims of the Mendocino Complex fires. This will unlock crucial help as our communities seek to rebuild,” said Garamendi. I thank all the emergency personnel who have been instrumental in saving lives and property and continue to work tirelessly to fight these fires and keep people safe.”
Public Assistance is federal funding for local communities to use to repair critical public infrastructure such as roads, bridges, buildings, water infrastructure and sewage collection facilities. The federal government covers 75 percent of the costs, and the state and locals governments split the remaining 25 percent.
Individual Assistance for Lake County for the Mendocino Complex fires was granted on August 17, 2018, which included federal support for residents who had homes or businesses damaged or destroyed. On August 7, 2018, Thompson and Garamendi, along with Rep. Jared Huffman, lead a bipartisan letter to the President urging him to approve the disaster declaration and make these funds available to fire survivors. Thompson has also prepared a Disaster Guide to help constituents navigate the recovery process that you can read by clicking here.
The Mendocino Complex fires began on July 27, 2018 and have burned over 459,000 acres. Over 300 structures were damaged or destroyed. Thousands were forced to evacuate.