Congressman Garamendi Honors Students Selected for CA State Summer School for the Arts
Last week, Congressman John Garamendi (D-Fairfield, Davis, Yuba City, CA) welcomed ten Yolo County students to the Pence Gallery in Davis who were selected to attend the 30th California State Summer School for the Arts (CSSSA). CSSSA is a four-week art training program that offers students the opportunity to work and study under professional artists, writers, and performers. The CSSSA was created by then State Senator John Garamendi in 1985 as part of an effort to retain California’s young talents and provide training for future artists who may wish to pursue their arts as a career.
“I am proud to welcome these young artists into the CSSSA program. CSSSA offers a supportive environment to help a new generation of artists cultivate their skills, and make a career out of their passion,” Congressman Garamendi said. “During my time as a State Senator, I authored legislation that established CSSSA under the principles of enabling students of all backgrounds to receive art education, providing a platform that allows future artists to practice their work and pursue a career in the arts, and establishing a model for a partnership between the public and private sector. The students here today display a commitment to the arts, and they prove that our region’s artistic legacy remains alive and well.”
The CSSSA participants for this year’s CSSSA program, as well as photos from the ceremony are linked below. A complete gallery of the event is available on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/repgaramendi/.
· Erin Bruni, Woodland High School, Theater
· Luke Crabbe, Esparto High School, Theater
· Benjamin Cross, Davis Senior High School, Music Vocal
· Hannah Huang, Davis Senior High School, Dance
· Ryan Johnson, Da Vinci Charter Academy, Animation
· Emily Komessar, Davis Senior High School, Visual Arts
· Amanda McAdam, Christian Brothers High School, Visual Arts
· Jimin Moon, Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. High School, Dance and Theater
· Alexandra Osgood, Davis Senior High School, Creative Writing
· Gabriel Vidales, Pioneer High School, Animation
· Esther Wang, Davis Senior High School, Visual Arts
· Anna Young, Davis Senior High School, Creative Writing
Ryan Johnson, Emily Komessar, and Ester Wang were also participants in the 2016 Congressional Art Competition. Emily received an honorable mention for her piece, “Earth.” Gabriel Vidales was the Yolo County Winner in the 2015 Congressional Art Competition.